Self storage tips and hints
When it comes to your self storage unit, there are a few simple things that you can do to maximise the space and to make sure that your items are protected.
Here’s a few things that you can try.
Plan your space
- If you plan to use the space often, choose a larger unit so that you can move around. Allow for walkways
- Plan to place bulky items and heavy boxes at the back of your unit, with oddly shaped items near the front
- For items you plan to access frequently, place them closest to the door
- Prepare an inventory where you can record all the items as they are placed/removed from storage
- Use good quality boxes and don’t overfill them. Browse our range of boxes in our packaging shop
- Pack heavy items into small boxes so that they are easy to lift. Always place at the bottom of a stack
- Label or number all boxes on all four sides for easy identification
- Group boxes into similar sizes as these are much easier to stack
Storing appliances and equipment
- Ensure that your refrigerator or freezer is thoroughly dry and stored with its doors open for ventilation
- Clean stoves and cooking equipment before storing
- Wipe down bicycles and other metal items with the correct agent to prevent rust will rust over time if not protected. To prevent rust, wipe all metal surfaces with proper agent
- Clean all garden equipment before storing and make sure they are dry
Make the most of your space
- Use the drawers of furniture to store more stuff in your unit. Our bubble wrap is perfect for protecting these items.
- Stack sofas, couches and mattresses on their ends to create more space
- Pack around and on top of tables to make more use of the space. Table legs can also often be removed
- Use hanger boxes to store clothing while they are in storage
Protecting your items
- Secure your unit with one of our high quality padlocks Use bubble wrap to protect your fragile goods and to wrap table legs etc
- Do not place heavy items on sofas or mattresses
- Food crumbs or stains should be removed before storing to avoid attracting pests
- Always place a protective cover over your soft furnishings and use dust sheets to protect against dust
- Rugs, in particular Persian rugs, should be treated professionally before putting into your unit. They should also be rolled up loosely and unwrapped at least once a year.
- Stack chairs seat to seat with cloth or paper to separate them and pack books flat to protect their spines
- Pictures and mirrors should be wrapped in boxes, marked fragile and stacked on their end
- Avoid stacking or leaning furniture against outside walls to aid ventilation
Remember: There are prohibited goods that may not be stored at Stor-Age. Take a look at our FAQ page if you are unsure of what you cannot store with us.